28 Jul How To Stage Your Outdoor Space To Sell Your Home
It stands to reason that outdoor space is important, now more than ever. If you plan on selling your home, making the most of this space is crucial. At Anthony Jones, we are pleased to say we have helped many vendors in Darlington connect with buyers, and sell their home.
If you are looking to maximise the impact your outdoor space has when selling your home, we can help.
The demand for outdoor space is obvious
The first monthly market survey report from the Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors (RICS) since the housing market re-opened provides a number of reasons why vendors must focus on the outside of their property.
The RICS survey collects opinions of agents across the country, so it offers useful insight into what property market professionals expect to see in the industry. The survey reported:
- 81% of agents predict an increase in desire for homes which have a garden or a balcony
- 74% of respondents predict an increase in demand for homes located close to a green space
- 68% of respondents believe properties with privacy and less communal space will be in greater demand
Simon Rubinsohn is the Chief Economist at RICS and he said; “There are already signs that those looking to buy a house are responding to the conditions created by the pandemic by seeking out properties with gardens or balconies and nearer green space. These and other similar features are likely to increasingly command a premium over higher-density urban locations, according to respondents to the survey.”
Gardens matter for property buyers
There has also been backing for these predictions from one of the leading property portals in the United Kingdom. Their studies suggest that while gardens have always been a popular search term for buyers, there has been an increase in prospective buyers looking for outdoor space in their next home.
Rightmove’s housing market analyst Miles Shipside said; “During lockdown people have been re-evaluating what their must-haves are, and both buyers and renters are craving a home with its own outside space rather than a flat. Usually home-movers tell us the kitchen photographs are the most important when they’re looking at a property advert, but now agents should consider giving greater prominence to pictures of gardens and outdoor spaces to attract the attention of prospective renters and buyers.”
There is consensus that outdoor space is important. Of course, when outdoor space becomes a common feature in the market, there is a need to ensure your garden stands out for the right reasons.
This is why staging outdoor space is going to become a critical feature in the property market.
Consider these areas when staging outdoor space to sell your home
- Always start with the decluttering and cleaning process, as this creates space and makes the area look more attractive
- Carry out repair work, focusing on paths, property walls and property doors and windows
- Create borders around different types of plants and flowers
- Mow the loan and ensure all borders are tidy
- Ensure all border barriers, such as fences, are in good condition
- Consider adding lighting to the outside of the property as this will enhance security, safety and functionality
- If you have space for people to gather, consider adding garden furniture
If you are looking for help with any matter of the Darlington property market, it is best to speak to property professionals. No one knows for sure what is going to happen next, so we won’t claim to have all the answers, but the Anthony Jones team is keen to help you as best we can. If you would like to contact us over housing matters, please call us today on 01325 776424.